Spectra-Physics, Ophir, Newport and ESI are brands within the MKS Instruments Photonics Solutions division. We provide a full range of solutions including lasers for precision industrial and scientific research applications, laser and LED measurement, beam profiling, precision motion control, optical tables and vibration isolation systems, photonics instruments, temperature sensing, opto-mechanical components, optical elements, and systems for flexible PCB laser processing, high-speed MLCC testing, and CO2-laser-based systems HDI PCB and IC substrate manufacturing. MKS Photonics Solutions enhance our customers’ capabilities and productivity in the semiconductor, advanced electronics and specialty industrial markets.
MKS Instruments is seeking a Optical Engineer to join the Integrated Solution Business (ISB). The ISB group is growing very rapidly with significant strategic investments in the development and fabrication of cutting-edge, high precision optics, and opto-mechanical assemblies. The Optical Engineer you will plan, conceptualize, design, test, and document complex, high-precision opto-mechanical/electro-optical products. If you have a passion for working with cutting-edge technology, this is the role for you.
You are responsible for:
- Performing product development activities that could include new or modified designs for new or existing products and document changes of optical, opto-mechanical, electro-optical modules, systems and instruments.
- Interpreting requirements from customer input and utilize industry best known methods.
- Participate in feasibility studies and develop cost estimates for systems, testing, development labor, etc
- Developing and executing product verification tests.
- Troubleshooting optics, opto-mechanical assemblies and/or final systems.
- Working cross-functionally with Systems Engineers, Mechanical Engineers, Electrical Engineers, and with Reliability and Manufacturing to ensure successful phase gate transitions.
To succeed in this role, you should have the following skills and experience:
- BS in Optical Engineering, Optical Sciences, Physics or equivalent
- A Minimum of 2+ years of experience working as an Optical Engineer.
- Strong relevant university experience will be considered in evaluating potential candidates.
- Competency in performing optical, performance and tolerance analysis using ZEMAX
- Hands-on experience in assembling, aligning and testing optical systems (component to device-level).
- Developing and implementing test procedures and evaluating and selecting appropriate test instrumentation.
- Understanding and experience with state-of-the-art manufacturing and metrology.
If you have familiarity with any of the following, please let us know:
- Hands-on experience with advanced optical metrology methods, including interferometric testing using computer generated holograms.
- Experience with modern cost-effective manufacturing methods for high, medium and low volume production.
- Experience with a diverse range of optical systems, including refractive, reflective, catadioptric and diffractive optical systems such as objectives, zoom lenses and illuminators that must operate over various ranges of environmental conditions.
- Experience in architecture and design of complex optical and opto-mechanical systems.
- Fluency in Korean could be an advantage to support key customer projects.
We are interested in a qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United States. However, we will not be sponsoring work visas for this position, at this time.
Compensation and Benefits:
Salary Pay Range: $59,500 - $110,500 per year. This range is a good faith estimate of the expected salary range for this position, based on a wide range of factors including qualifications, experience and training, operational and business needs and other considerations permitted by law. At MKS, it is not typical for an individual to be hired at or near the top of the range for the role.
This position is eligible for a discretionary annual bonus, in an amount to be determined by MKS [or as applicable].
MKS offers a comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance coverage (medical, dental and vision), 401(k) with company match, life and disability insurance, 11 paid holidays, sick time, 15 paid vacation days, [6 weeks fully paid] parental leave, adoption assistance and tuition reimbursement [and for participation in any stock programs, signing bonus, etc.].
Globally, our policy is to recruit individuals from wide and diverse backgrounds. However, certain positions require access to controlled goods and technologies subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) or Export Administration Regulations (EAR). Applicants for these positions may need to be “U.S. persons.” “U.S. persons” are generally defined as U.S. citizens, noncitizen nationals, lawful permanent residents (or, green card holders), individuals granted asylum, and individuals admitted as refugees.
MKS Instruments, Inc. and its affiliates and subsidiaries (“MKS”) is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer: diverse candidates are encouraged to apply. We win as a team and are committed to recruiting and hiring qualified applicants regardless of race, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions), religion, age, ancestry, physical or mental disability or handicap, marital status, membership in the uniformed services, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, or any other category protected by applicable law. Hiring decisions are based on merit, qualifications and business needs. We conduct background checks and drug screens, in accordance with applicable law and company policies.
MKS is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or interview process due to a disability, please contact us at: accommodationsatMKS@mksinst.com .
If applying for a specific job, please include the requisition number (ex: RXXXX), the title and location of the role